Ask A Question
What does photography insurance cover?

Q: What does photography insurance cover?

A: Many things can threaten your business's financial security, but fortunately photography insurance covers two of your biggest risks: lawsuits and property losses.

Whether a client sues you or you lose your equipment after a theft, your business could lose thousands of dollars due to damages and expenses. The cost of a single lawsuit is more than enough to put a freelance photographer out of business and force them to file bankruptcy. Fortunately, photographers and videographers can get insurance to cover lawsuits, customer injuries, theft, and fire damage.

Let's look at what coverage you'll need.

Photography Equipment Insurance: How to Cover Business Property

To cover photography equipment and other commercial property, a photographer can get Property Insurance (aka Photography Equipment Insurance), which reimburses a business for losses due to fire, theft, vandalism, and some weather damage.

A Property Insurance policy can cover nearly any property a photographer owns, including…

  • Cameras.
  • Lenses.
  • Softboxes.
  • Flashes.
  • Backdrops.
  • Computers.

If a fire burns down a photographer's studio, her insurance will cover the cost to replace lost or damaged equipment. Property Insurance can be bought on its own or packaged in a Business Owner's Policy.

Photography Liability Insurance: Protection for Lawsuits

Photographers can be sued for all sorts of things, but fortunately they can get lawsuit coverage through the following business insurance policies…

  • General Liability Insurance. This policy covers third-party lawsuits over injuries, property damage, and copyright infringement. If a client is injured during a shoot or you knock over an expensive vase, GL Insurance can pay for your lawsuit.
  • Professional Liability / Errors and Omissions Insurance. What happens if a client doesn't like your finished work? It's not hard to imagine a bride and groom (think bridezilla) being upset with their photographer and suing them for problems with their photos. If someone sues you over your photography, E&O can cover your business's legal expenses and pay damages you may owe.

Workers' Compensation Insurance: Legally Required Insurance for Photographers

While clients and landlords might require you to have General Liability or Errors and Omissions Insurance, there's only one type of insurance that could actually be required by law: Workers' Compensation Insurance.

Workers' Comp laws vary by state (our agents will help you find and meet your requirements). Usually, businesses with employees need to have Workers' Comp to pay for employee injuries or illnesses that result from their work.

Many photographers work as freelancers or independent contractors. In this case, you might need Workers' Comp to cover yourself, but you should always double-check state requirements New browser window icon..

How Do You Find the Right Photography Insurance?

By working with insurance agents who specialize in the photography industry, you can be sure you'll get the right coverage. Insureon's agents know how to tailor a Property Insurance policy to cover your equipment and we'll make sure your General Liability Insurance can protect you from lawsuits over the kind of accidental property damage that can occur during a shoot.

For free quotes on Property, General Liability, Professional Liability, or Workers' Comp Insurance, submit an online insurance application.

Customer Rating 4.9 out of 5
Read Customer Reviews

Grab-n-Go Information

Don't Shoot in the Dark - A Risk Management Guide for Photographers and Videographers
Browse eBook
Sample certificates
See a sample Certificate of Liability Insurance, the proof of coverage you need for most contracts.
View Sample
Sample Quotes & Cost Estimates
See what insurance really costs: actual quotes by policy & specialty.
Get Estimates
Ask A Question
Submit your questions about small business insurance and get answers from our experts.
Read Answers